Thursday, February 06, 2014

No LOL, bad LOL

I miss the written word, not the two hundred and forty some odd characters that is used in today's common interactions. Perhaps it is the romance that language can convey or the imagery we invoke with our thoughts or maybe I'm exhausted from translating text speak / leet speak / abbreviated / shorthand babble. From time to time and in the rush I can see the practicality of it, but for this to be the new common language...

When the processes around me change I accelerate my critical thinking to quickly adapt and overcome the new obstacles or problems presented. It is not lazy or a gift only I can do; we all do it, some faster than others. I understand the why's and how's this came to fruition, and I often scold myself for using it. I even badger myself for using contractions and the over use of them. I know this has to sound like the grammar police in full patrol, but it takes work to keep a diction that is quite extensive; reading, learning, and investing the time in yourself to do more than merely three letters here and two letter replies.

I loathingly abhorred, and rejected  texting upon its birth and even in its infancy. I could see the belligerent path to dumbing down it would take yet not my wails nor my disdain for the abomination would be felt, and I too would succumb.


After rereading the proceeding I realize that I am simply mourning. I greave for a language I know and love and stand by helplessly as she is desecrated until the only thing left is corrupt consonants and offensive vowels. Good bye sweet language. ROFL doesn't have anything on our spiraling on the pavement in cachinnation (SOTPIC...ftw).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At long last someone finally voiced what so many of generation X feel. Now CEO'S comment openly about catering to the new workforce of millennials. When inter-office memos, corporate emails and even resumes contain lol's and emoticons. I lament at the death of language with you typhyn. Mourn as we may though nothing we say or do will stop this onslaught of literary degradation. No more than anyone could slow the condensing of the language during the 20th century. Shakespeare and Poe would have rolled over in their graves before the abbreviated language of text speak. Imagine what they would think now. ... In twenty years? Fifty? Even now do we have any idea just how far this will be taken?